Alright homies, so this year, America is painting a portrait of our great nation by sending out the US Census. The Census takes place every 10 years and it directly affects all of us. How may you ask? Well I’m glad you asked. The Census affects us in our every day by:
- determining how much representation we get in in the federal and state government
- allocating funds to advocate for causes, rescue disaster victims, prevent diseases, research markets, locate pools of skilled workers and more
- partitioning the annual federal budget of $400 BILLION dollars to hospitals, Job training centers, schools, senior centers bridges, roads, freeways, tunnels, emergency services, and other-public works projects
- helping non-profits help the community by figuring out who we are and what we need
No department, bureau, agency, officer, or employee of the Government, except the Secretary in carrying out the purposes of this title, shall require, for any reason, copies of census reports which have been retained by any such establishment or individual. Copies of census reports which have been so retained shall be immune from legal process, and shall not, without the consent of the individual or establishment concerned, be admitted as evidence or used for any purpose in any action, suit, or other judicial or administrative proceeding.
So even if you are an immigrant without citizenship, you have to be counted, and you won’t be punished by filling it out. Actually, you will be punished for not filling it out or filling it out incorrectly.
So you might now be asking, Kevin, how do you fill out this census thing? This year its 10 Questions.
- how many people live there
- the status of the house/apt’s ownership
- whether or not nonresidents live there currently
- contact phone number if they have any questions
- whether you are Hispanic or not
- your race
- if you live somewhere else as well as where you’re at
The bolded points are ones that have to be filled out for every person in the household
This stuff is very important, guys! This helps determine what we get for the next 10 years. Fill out your Census, help your parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, 2nd cousins, neighbors, friends, even that one guy who always falling asleep in class. Help us all out by filling it out, because if you don’t the movement for equality and progress WILL be halted.
source: 2010 Census